Wednesday, October 24, 2007

WFMW: Sibling cooperation incentive

I've had a whole lot of trouble lately with Buddy (4) and Sister (2.5) not getting along. They bug each other on purpose, drive each other crazy, poke each other's buttons. And it really stresses me out. So I put my mind on rewind, back to my days of teaching elementary school. And how did I encourage the class to work together? The penny jar.

There is now a glass jar sitting on my kitchen counter. Every time I catch Buddy and Sister being sweet/kind/good to each other, I add a penny to the jar. Not getting along? A penny comes out. When they get 100 pennies, we're going on a train ride as a reward. And then we'll start all over again working towards another reward, something special that we'll do together.

I just started this whole penny thing last week, and so far it's working beautifully. They're thinking as a team, encouraging each other, and really trying to behave as a unit. Plus it makes a great bribe. . ."Oh, I think I'll have to give you a penny if you help your sister turn the faucet on!" and "Wow, you guys are doing such a great job working together. I think I'll give you a penny after you clean up that puzzle!"

Works for me. So far.

For more tips, head over to Shannon's.

4 comments:

mindi said...

What a good idea. My kids fight like cats and dogs - I'll have to try this!

Angela Walker said...

Mine are quite a bit older (8 and 6) so sometimes the rewards get quite expensive. What I have done lately though is make them sit and give eachother a hug when they're ugly to eachother.

In fact, we were going to eat dinner last night and the girls were acting up. I told them that they were going to have to hug at Cici's if they didn't stop. Oh my gosh, you would have thought I told them they were loosing an arm.

My oldest started bawling and begging me to not make them do it at Cici's but at home. She was soooo upset that the little one started begging too because she didn't want to see her sister so upset. Awwww........

Maybe it's actually working????

TexasTanya said...

Great idea! My boys have typically been very sweet to one another, but they are now getting older and have started picking on one another. This could be a great tool to keep in my arsenal!

Anonymous said...

we;ve always stressed that "your brothers are your best friends" and, though there are some arguments, for the most part they agree. It's amazing how easy it was for us.
great idea you came up with too!