Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Wednesday Me For Works

Today is backwards day at Shannon's Works for Me Wednesday. So here's my question:

What is your easiest, healthiest, kids-pleasingist dinner recipe that grownups really love too?

I find one of the most challenging things about cooking dinner is making everyone happy. Hubs likes just about everything, I prefer a lower-fat meal, the kids are typical kids-fare lovers.

Suggestions? Please?

P.S. We don't eat beef. (My boys' bellies are too sensitive!)

8 comments:

Meg said...

Italian chicken! Take your favorite frozen chicken parts, legs & thighs work well, throw them into a deep pan, add one bottle low fat italian dressing, 1/2 cup of water and then cover. Cook until done, uncover and let the liquid cook out and the chicken brown up a bit. Serve with mashed potatoes (we use instant) and corn. My son loves it!

Also good is Tilapia, take frozen tilapia, and cook with honey mustard style dressing (low fat of course). Serve with french cut green beans and mashed potatoes (or mac & cheese).

Anonymous said...

Have you tried American Chop Suey? I make everything we eat from scratch because of allergies, and American Chop Suey is a great choice when I need a quick, inexpensive but hearty meal. I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, so it is very low in fat, and we all really love it.

My WFMW question is "Produce, E. Coli, Bacteria, and You." I'd love some input!

Kim said...

Tacos or burritos

You can use lean ground chicken or turkey instead of beef.

Chop lots of veggies to add.

Salsa

Low fat cheeses.

And they are fun too!

You can do this on baked potatoes as well - great to use up leftovers.

JCK said...

Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much for your quilt hanger idea for my daughter's art work! I loved it! Backwards day Works-For-Me! :)

Here's a recipe that I made up. Hopefully your boys can eat ground turkey? It is yummy and easy! My husband calls it "Mommy's Goulash."

Mommy's Goulash

Brown 2 lbs ground turkey in a skillet. Move to a large sauce pan. Add 2 cans corn, 1 can black beans and 1 lg can cream of potato or celery soup. Cook all together for 15 minutes. Serve topped with grated cheddar cheese and a green salad. (Makes about 6-8 servings.)

Sheila said...

Two of my favourite sources for recipes are:

- Kraft's Food and Family magazine which is free to receive in the mail. http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/FoodandFamily/

- Desperation Dinners cookbook. They claim everything can be made in 20 minutes but I find it is more like 30 minutes.
http://www.amazon.com/Desperation-Dinners-Beverly-Mills/dp/076110481X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9824832-3812134?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191457606&sr=8-1

Another favourite recipe is Quinoa Chili - a meatless chili. E mail me if you'd like the recipe.

lisa h. said...

you can try buying tofu (extra firm) to replace meat and call them "magic sqaures" my kids will eat them! and husband too :)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Check out my cooking blog:

http://mommywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com

Daniel and Teresa said...

I love making homemade pizza. It can be healthy, if you use low-fat Mozzarella cheese, load up on the veggies, and use chicken or another low-fat meat. And you can always put some ingredients on one side, and others on the other if you don't all like the same toppings.