Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fightin' Words

I feel like I've been having to "fight" for my kids a lot lately.

For Sis, it's been about a little boy, lets call him "Hitter Boy" in her Little Gym class that has hit/pushed/pulled her hair for two classes straight. This is a mommy and me class, so you might ask what did the mom do, and I'll tell you she did nothing. I talked to the teacher after class the first time it happened, and again after the second time. She expressed concern, but nothing changed. After talking it over with Hubs and some hopefully neutral friends, I decided that either Hitter Boy goes, or we go. The teacher has to talk with her boss, which I understand, and will deliver the verdict on Thursday when Buddy has karate class with her. For me, I see that the clear and right choice would be to ask Hitter Boy to move out of the class so my sweet Sis can do her somersaults in peace. But who knows if everyone sees as clearly as I do.

Buddy's is unaware of his battle, and it's allergy related. Here's the deal: There are four allergies (milk, nut, peanut, egg)in his class this year, so I'm trying to be kind and helpful by getting together a master list of suggested snacks so other parents know what everyone can eat when they send snack in. There has been trouble on the way, I won't be specific as I'm not sure who reads this blog, but I'll get this thing done if it takes me all year.

What I'm learning with this September:
-My children are sweet and good to the core.
-I'm going to have to stand up for my children for now and always.
-Other people don't always see things the way I do.
-Sometimes others communicate their differing opinions with disrespect.
-If I truly believe in something, I need to think hard, take a few breaths, figure all out, then go for it hard.
-My husband supports me, but will be honest if he feels I need to think about things from another perspective.
-I value my husband's opinion more than anyone else.
-Mommy friends have great ears. They're passionate about my kids, too. I love that.
-I'm remembering the passionate person that I've always been. I like her better now that she's more tame and has something-- make that three things-- that are really worth fighting for.
-These little battles are only the beginning.

No comments: