Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Lost and Found

We had a huge scare today in the Days house: Sister lost her Sausie. Now who, you ask, is Sausie? Well, Sausie is "her friend", her lovey, her can't-sleep-unless-I have it. Sausie, short for Sausage, is a rolled up Little Giraffe blanket that my friend Mary gave her when she was born. It was pink and soft, with a silky border. Sister attached herself to the blanket when she was quite tiny, and she kept pulling it over her face when she slept. To keep her from getting smothered, I rolled it and sewed it up, so it resembled a sausage. If you ask her, Sis will tell you that Sausie is a boy, and he has a head (yes, there is an up and a down) and feet, but that's it. To soothe herself, she puts her hands in the ends, where it used to be silky but is now so worn that he needs a haircut now and then. (Yes, she has gotten her finger stuck in a Sausie thread a few times.) Sausie now resembles a dog toy. There is no silkiness left. It has faded to a dingy peach color which Sis claims is white. I tried to replace it last year with a brand new one, even sewed it up exactly the same. But Sis will have nothing to do with fake Sausie blanket. She says its yucky.

Sausie went missing today before nap time. Sis, who was desperately tired, would not go to sleep (or stop screaming) until he was found. I tore the house apart*, not knowing what room, or even what floor he was on. Finally, I found him wedged between my mattress and my foot board. I have never felt so relieved as I did in that moment. I took Sausie in to Sis's room, kissed them both goodnap, and breathed.

*Buddy just came downstairs and commented, "Why is the house so messy?"