The pediatrician has told me all I have to do to care for Sweet Baby's thumb, which he sucks whenever he sleeps, is keep it clean. But I feel like I should be doing something else for young skin that is constantly wet and sucked on.
Any mommas of thumb-suckers out there that have a care regiment baby's thumb?
Thanks, guys!
For more questions, and answers, visit Shannon's blog!
5 comments:
We don't really do anything special. My youngest is hard core and has thick callouses on his thumbs. His favorite thumb has gotten infected twice, but I just lance it and tape a sock over that hand to keep him from making it worse. Once it heals up he is right back to the sucking. I try and make sure that his hands are somewhat clean at all times since they are going in his mouth.
I use lanolin. I don't know if it reallly helps, but I started putting it on her thumb when I was nursing b/c it seemed to need the same protection! Every couple of days when her thumb starts to look dry or callused or just yucky, I put that lanolin on before bed and it usually looks ok after that.
Again, I have NO IDEA if it has helped or not...just my experience.
When my son's thumb starts to look chapped and dry I rub Burt's Bees banana hand cream into it. It's non-toxic, so I don't worry about it getting in his mouth.
Mine sucked his fingers, and the only trouble we had was when it got cold and his fingers got chapped. We used lanolin (like your previous commenter) and it worked great. The callouses went away quickly when we had to wean him off of his fingers, which wasn't as hard and traumatic as I thought it would be!
I used to put Aquaphor on my daughter's thumb. She only sucked on it when she was tired, so I'd put it on there while she was playing.
Post a Comment