Monday, January 21, 2008

Waiting and Watching

Sis and Bud were playing Little People this morning...

Bud, in a superhero voice: My name is Weight Watcher!
Sis: Hello, Mr. Weight Watcher! What are you doing?
Bud, still superhero voicing: Well, I wait. And I watch!

Guess they've overheard me talking about WW. I'm glad they don't really know what it means. I don't want them to know about losing weight and all that. Even when I go to Curves, which isn't very often these days as Hubs is working 23/6, we talk about just wanting to get healthy and strong.

I'm hoping they don't have to deal with the body image/weight control issues that I have, but chances are, at least Sis will, at least to some extent.

So how to you emphasize the health/nutrition/exercise thing while avoiding weight/physical appearance? Any ideas out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay WW!

I started WW 2 years ago and lost 35lbs. My girls were then 7 and 4. In terms of the concern body image for my girls etc, I just didn't make a big deal over it other than to say it was healthier for me to lose weight. When they eat, they aren't discouraged if they want more of something. I don't monitor the amount of what they eat, only what. I never saw any negative or concerning changes in them after I started WW. They see that I don't obsess over point keeping (and I've waffled with it somewhat) and that no food is "off limits". They know exercise is good for you etc.

They don't watch TV and are homeschooled so in some respects there is just some cluelessness there of the worlds ideals of beauty etc. They so far don't really think much about their appearance or feel under any "pressure" (well, with exception to wanting to dress up like princesses! LOL).

Anyhow, all that rambling to say it's helped to just emphasize the healthiness but not make it a big deal.

BTW, I love PW's blog too and can't get into scrapbooking either! LOL

Thanks for commenting on my blog today! :)