Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where Were You?

Remembering 9/11...

I was teaching third grade. Doing a read-aloud, I think. Mrs. Allard, the technology teacher, stood in my doorway, with an expression way out of her character. She motioned me over to her, away from the curious kids, and told me that the Twin Towers and the Pentagon had been attacked. Don't turn on the classroom TV (duh). Don't even put a video on, just in case the TV pops on too. And do not get on the computer.

OK, got it. Honestly, I didn't even know exactly what the Twin Towers were. Can you believe that? Growing up less than 2 hours from NYC, I was clueless. The Pentagon, however, I knew. I knew it was close to my older sister, who at the time was teaching in the Maryland suburbs. So, immediately, by thoughts went to her.

Our day went on as usual, as we didn't know anything anyway. We were banned from TV and internet for fear the kids would see something. Parents were shaken when they picked up their kids, some were even picked up early, just because their parents wanted to be near them. It wasn't until I got home and turned the TV on that I found out what really happened.

We went back to school as usual. Third graders didn't know much, as it seemed their parents chose not to share too much with them. There were a few days of questions, but other than that, it was too far from their little lives to really "get it", thank goodness for that.

In the aftermath, I had a few close to home worries. . .Hubs worked near the federal reserve and for a large power company, both at some point were suspected targets. And then there was the sniper, who was spotted at a gas station not far from our home and school, and forced the schools to close with a letter that threatened the children. Scary times. Innocence gone.

Honestly I do not know anyone who was directly affected by 9/11. But I know there are so many. My prayers and thoughts go out to all of them today. Wishing for peace for our children...

No comments: