Thursday, September 27, 2007

Gestation, past and future

I stopped at the ATM (when did we stop calling it the "MAC"?) this morning to get cash for our weekly trip to the produce market.

Buddy, eyeing the cash: Mommy, did you make lunch yet?
I totally know where he's going with this one.
Me: no, Bud. Not yet.
Buddy: Well, I was thinking maybe we could go to that pizza place across from the produce place. It's really good.
Me: I'll think about it, Bud.
Silence for a good five minutes. Buddy's wheels are churning, I see it in the rear view.
Buddy, out of nowhere: Your belly was so big you couldn't fit through the door!
Me: What?
Buddy: The last time we went to that pizza place Sweet Baby was still in your belly, and you couldn't fit in the doors! Remember!?!

Yes, I remember-- My belly was so humongous that I couldn't navigate through a set of awkwardly placed doors...And then I couldn't fit in the booth. Yup, that was me. A huge whale of a 9 1/2 plus pounds baby grower.

Sister, longingly, almost whining: Wish I had a baby in my belly.
Me: Maybe when you're a mommy God will put a baby in your belly.
Sis, perking up: Will it be yellow? (Yellow is her favorite.)
Me: Probably not, Sis. Usually the baby is the same color as the mommy and the daddy or a mix of them both.
Sis: Pink, maybe? Purple?
Me: I don't think so, Sis.
Buddy: Well what color is Sister?
Me: I guess you would say she's white.
Sis: No, I'm blue. I have blue shorts on. Maybe a blue baby would fit in my belly.

No comments: