Monday, September 3, 2007

Buddy on "Work"


Buddy, sitting on the potty: Mommy, I don't want any money.

Me, having no clue what he's talking about: OK, Bud.

Buddy: I don't want any money. I just want Daddy to stay home instead.

Me, now clued in: Oh, Bud, wouldn't that be great?

It's such a strange concept to kids, don't you think? Daddy "goes to work" and they give him money?

-When he was younger, we used to visit Hubs at lunchtime and go out for pizza. And until recently, Buddy actually thought that that was Hubs's job: eating pizza.

-Nowadays he frequently asks, "When will Daddy be done with work?" as if he gets to stop at the end of the year or something, maybe like a teacher would? Or maybe like Grampa is retired?

-At preschool last year, Buddy's class had a "Career Day". There were little 3 year-olds dressed like doctors, athletes, princesses, and secret agents. Can you believe that Buddy was the only CPA?

-I want my kids to appreciate how hard Hubs works for us, and be thankful for his work and for his job, but at the same time I want them to be little innocent carefree kids that don't have to worry about anything at all. I'm finding it's a tricky balance. When Buddy told Sister to turn off the water the other day because he was wasting Daddy's money, I thought, have I gone overboard?

One more thing to think about. This raising kids thing is complicated!


No comments: