Frequently heard in our house:
"Please put your pajamas on."--No response.
"Buddy, please put your pajamas on." --Still nothing.
"Buddy, if you don't put your pajamas on by the time I get to three, then (Insert consequence here.)" --Suddenly Buddy puts his pajamas on pretty quick.
Usually the consequence is something really simple, like "I'll take away your favorite truck", or, "You won't be able to ride your bike this afternoon," whatever. And it almost always works. It really doesn't bother me too much that it happens, I just feel like it's part of teaching him to obey. To me, obedience has to be taught, just like the value of honesty, hard work, etc. No big deal, nothing to be upset about. Just part of helping him grow.
BUT. . .I heard Hubs say to Buddy the other day, "I just wish I didn't have to threaten you all of the time!"
Hmmm. I've never really thought of it as making threats. More like defining consequences. Or reminding him of cause and effect. Maybe helping him make good choices. But threats? When I think about it, though, I guess that's really what it is. Threats. So now am I a mean mom for "threatening" my son all the time? One more thing to think about!
No comments:
Post a Comment